Serves 6 – 8 if made in a pie dish
Serves 4 in 8oz ramekins
Nettles are the ~perfect~ star for the classic spanikopita recipe—rich, flavorful, and super-nutritious. This time around, the dish comes without a crust, cooked in ramequins. Perfectly gluten free!
Nettle & Spinach Spanikopita (Crustless)
What You Need:
1 lb frozen chopped spinach
1 lb fresh chopped nettles
3 cups water
1/4 cup olive oil
1 yellow onion, diced
1 1/2 tsp dried dill
1 tsp salt
30 grinds of pepper
8 oz feta (crumbled)
½ to 1 cup of heavy cream
1 tbsp butter (for greasing the baking dish)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Place frozen spinach and nettles into a pot, add water cover and bring to a boil.
- Boil for several minutes until spinach is thawed and nettles tender, about 5-8minutes.
- Drain the greens in a colander (and save the boiling water for use as soup stock forlater). When the greens are cool enough to handle squeeze all the water out of them that you can.
- Heat the olive oil in a medium sauce pan. Add the onions and saute untiltranslucent.
- In a medium sized bowl whisk the eggs, ½ cup of cream, dill, salt, and pepperwith a fork until well mixed.
- Add the greens, onion, and feta and stir again untilcompletely mixed. If the mixture is too dry add more cream a tablespoon at a time until it is “loose” as it will firm up when baked.
- Spoon into a buttered pie dish or buttered ramekins and bake for 40 minutes or until egg mixture is cooked.